Table of Contents
The Certified Flight Registered Nurse (CFRN®) credential is a specialized certification for nurses who provide medical care during air medical transport. Earning your CFRN® certification is a challenging but rewarding achievement that demonstrates your advanced knowledge and expertise in flight and critical care transport. It can also increase your job opportunities and earning potential as a flight nurse
Here is a brief introduction to how to obtain your CFRN® certification.
- To be eligible to sit for the exam, you must hold a current, unrestricted Registered Nursing (RN) license.
- The BCEN® recommends two (2) years of experience in your specialty. However, that is not a requirement for exam eligibility.
- Initial Exam Cost – $370
- ASTNA members – $230
- Retest Cost – $340
- ASTNA members – $200
- Recertification – $350
- Military – $195
- Active, Reserve, and Veterans
- Initial & Recertification Costs
- Fees can be reimbursed with VA Benefits
- Retired Cost – $75
- CFRN® Content Outline shows you what topics are covered on the exam.
- Flight Medical Provider™ Course
- Additional Study Materials:
- ASTNA. Patient Transport: Principles & Practice. ISBN: 978-0323401104
- ASTNA & ICAPP. Critical Care Transport Core Curriculum, Second Edition. ISBN: 978-1-7340255-2-1
- AAOS. Critical Care Transport. ISBN: 978-1284263084
- IA MED. Flight Medical Provider Study Guide. ISBN: 979-8218144173
- Lopez. Back to Basics. ISBN: 978-1456862725
- Where to take the exam:
- Testing Center
- Live Remote Proctoring
- Important Exam Information
- You are allowed/given a whiteboard or blank paper during the exam. At the end of the exam, you must dispose of your scrap paper.
- 180 questions
- 150 scored
- 30 unscored
- You must correctly answer 108 of the scored 150 questions to pass the CFRN® examination.
- You have three (3) hours to complete the exam.
Time to recertify? We got you covered. Our CFRN® recertification course has the latest information to keep you in the know.
Download a copy of the Candidate Handbook for additional questions and information.